The San Diego County Swiss Club officially formed as a group in 1939. The SDCSD's first president was Paul Aeschlimann. Members of the Swiss Club Board at that time were Paul Aeschlimann (President), Robert Egger, Sr. (Vice President), Theodore Blattler (Treasurer), Walter Suter (Recording Secretary), Leo Arnold (Corresponding Secretary), John Kastlunger (Director) and John Christen (Director).
Although they are no longer with us, their spirit lives today. It is in their descendants and the many Swiss who have emigrated to this country that their legacy is with us. Their wish to pass Swiss tradition and heritage to future generations is alive.
The site for the very first Schwingfest, held in 1949, was Egger's Park. Since then, San Diego has seven times been the host city for the West Coast Swiss Wrestling Association Championship Schwingfest.
Alois Stockalper was President when the Club purchased the land that our Park currently sits upon from Bob Egger in 1953. Then in 1957, pulling resources together, the Club built a great hall. At the inauguration everyone could proudly say, "At last we have our own hall." The beautiful hall, presently used, was built in 1970 due to the expansion of the freeway
Following the dream of then President Max Wirth, the Swiss Singers organized in 1982. The Singers represented San Diego County Swiss Club at the Festival in Long Beach in 1984 as a guest choir. There the United Swiss Singing Societies of the Pacific Coast accepted the San Diego Swiss Singers in their organization. As a result, the San Diego Singers hosted the Triennial Festival in our beautiful city and park in 1990.
Today, after six decades of Club activities, the traditions live on with many thanks to our founding fathers.
Many thanks to those who have made special contributions to the San Diego County Swiss Club. Each of the following individuals in appreciation of their dedication have been granted an Honorary Lifetime Membership in the San Diego County Swiss Club.